Thursday, May 26, 2011

Summer Plans....



Last summer on the farm the cousins sold rocks.  Yes.  Rocks.  Not even special ones.  Rocks they found in the flower beds and fields around the farm.  Rocks?  You laugh.  And yet these relentless entrepreneurs sold $350 worth of rocks and sent some kids to school in Haiti.  This proves two things.  People are way nicer than I give them credit  AND attractive people have a much easier go at life.  That study can forever be proven with a handful of adorable kids, a bucket of regular ol' rocks, and a toy cash register full of money. 

 



This year they are up to their old tricks.  Except now they have a more marketable product.  Well.  Maybe.  The vegetables they are selling are the dregs from the winter garden.  Check out what they are up to this year.  They have decided (on their own) that this year their money is going to build wells in Haiti.



We've enjoyed our week on the farm.  We'll be here all summer waiting for our house in Haiti to be completed.  We needed to come home, regroup, raise some funds, figure out how to furnish our house in Haiti and possibly get some of our belongings there.  Seems overwhelming.


Thankfully my family is allowing us to stay at the farm.  What an enormous blessing.  We arrived on the farm with a house set up and ready to go for us.  Our own comforters on our beds.  Our favorite foods in the refrigerator.  Lynsey and her mother worked hard, and we felt so loved by all they did to welcome us home.


While we are here we'll be busy.  Aaron is going to be working side-by-side with my brother, Jason.  Aaron's degree is in agriculture, and my brother is a farming genius.  Aaron will be purposefully learning a lot of the details about running a farm like this one.  When we move back to Haiti we'll live on about 5 acres of land.  We will be using a lot of the skills that Aaron learns on the farm this summer to set up a more sustainable lifestyle on the land where we will be living in Haiti.


Aaron will also be traveling and speaking at churches and camps.  The kids and I will accompany him as much as we can.  More about that later.  For now you can read Aaron's most recent update here.

I'll be reading and studying midwifery books and trying to keep four kids alive and happy.  I have a long list of things I want to learn.  Skills that will make sense and be useful in Haiti.  Like how to make butter and cheese and pickles.  It's no secret.  Food motivates me.  So help me I will figure out how to eat in any country!

Aaron and I will hopefully be continuing our Creole lessons with a girl (Hi Beth!) who lives in College Station.  What are the chances that a fluent Creole speaker attends our home church?  Yay!



I'm looking forward to this time of rest, focused work, time with friends and family, and getting to wake up every morning...drink coffee while staring out the window at cattle grazing on green pastures.

Links from this post (in case you missed them).

Aaron's Update

The Cousin Store (My sister-in-law's blog)

Yonder Way Farm (Our family's farm.  They deliver to lots of surrounding cities!)

11 comments:

Sky said...

How adorable! And the farm looks like an awesome place to be :-)

Jessica said...

I hope y'all have an amazing summer in CS! I was wondering if you will be having any collections for cereal boxes while y'all are home. Please let me know! Thanks a lot!

Katie Little Photography said...

This is so great- I have been reading your blog for quite a few months now and love it- and just found out from this blog post that we drink milk from your farm!! We live in Pearland and get it from Pearland Coffee Roasters. This makes me so happy. :)

Katie Little Photography said...

Correction- we have ordered beef from you before! :) loved it!

Hendrick Family said...

Oh good, Katie! This farm is the best! We deliver milk too, so maybe you got that as well.

Heather

Ursula said...

If you haven't already, you should check out World Hunger Relief Farm. They are in Waco and do most of their work in Haiti helping people there learn sustainable farming.

Sharon and Manuel said...

Man! Heather..that post about the frog was hilarious!! And btw...you and your family have some really really cute kidlets!!!

Love...just love reading your blog!!

Sharon

Beth said...

Yay, mwen kontan anpil! Super excited to get to know your family better, talk about Haiti, and speak Creole! Gonna be a good summer :)

Anonymous said...

Heather - I made bread and butter pickles the other day from a recipe out of my amish cookbook. It took 3 hours and was super easy. I'm glad y'all are back and "resting".

If you want the recipe let me know. I'll scan it and email to you.

Debi

Marla Taviano said...

I don't know what it was about this post, but I'm feeling COMPLETELY INSPIRED!!!! Woohoo!!!

mandi said...

Lemme know if you need any help learning how to make those foods. And any other foods that pioneers may have eaten/made. I'm your girl ; ).