Sunday, December 30, 2012

Favorite New Year's Soup


A few years ago I wrote a post and asked friends to share their favorite soup recipes.  Emily sent me the instructions for making Rachael Ray's Hoppin' John Soup with Rice.  I adore a good soup, but I was skeptical.  Black-eyed peas and sweet potatoes?  Bleck.  It sounded all kinds of nasty.  I don't know what made me decide to try this wacky soup, but I'm glad I did.  It's strange, but delicious and if you're into eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day, it's the perfect soup to ring in the New Year.

This soup is thick (Rachael Ray calls this heartier-than-your-average-soup a "stoup.")  If gumbo had a funky, eclectic cousin, his name would be Hoppin' John Soup.  I love how many winter veggies are packed into this recipe.  It's made from whole foods, is gluten free, and paleo/primal friendly (without the rice).  If you aren't using rice, make sure to adjust the amount of Frank's hot sauce you use.  The rice absorbs a lot of the heat!

This recipe serves four (so we end up doubling it). Here's what you'll need:

3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
1.5 cups rice
1 quart plus 3 cups chicken broth, divided
1 package (4 links) andouille sausage, casings removed and diced (You really do need a dry sausage)
5 ribs celery, chopped (I also include the heart of the celery and leaves)
2 green bell peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 fresh bay leaf
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
Hot sauce to taste (we use Franks original - but go with the mild version and use about 1/4 cup)
1 pound frozen black-eyed peas
1 28 ounce can stewed tomatoes

For the instructions, head over to Rachael Ray's site.

1 comment:

Teri H said...

I have another Hoppin' John recipe I make but I want to try this one! Soon!