Monday, July 01, 2013

Cantaloupe Trellis


Our little, big garden is coming along.  Aaron finished the second cantaloupe trellis tonight with bamboo the boys harvested from the woods near our house.  Sigh.  It's so pretty.


It's a little sad, but I'm as wowed by their wicked-fast bamboo climbing skills as I am with their ability to rattle off the states and capitals.


The Botany Brothers are selling organic cantaloupe seedlings they harvested from one of the most yummy cantaloupes I've ever eaten.  I jacked some of their plants and stuck them in the ground tonight in the two cantaloupe beds.


(The rest of the grass is going away next weekend - good-bye grass - hello walkways!)




Local friends, are you sure you don't want to grow cantaloupes with us?  The boys still have some seedlings left (and will have more in a couple weeks that they harvested from an organic, heirloom variety). We could all jump in and figure this out together.

Want to know something cool?  The last few days have found us standing in our yard having long, meaningful conversations with several of our neighbors.  Some of them, I'd never even met before.  If this is the only gift this garden gives - it's already been worth the sweat and sore muscles.

Cantaloupe Links I'm Diggin'  

Lots of great information from A&M about growing cantaloupe.

FAQ about growing cantaloupe from Agrilife.

The day I get to put a bra on my cantaloupes is gonna be a good day for me.

Ooh.  Pretty.

Is it just me, or are these rad?

Did you know the melons most of us call cantaloupe are actually musk melons?  Who knew, huh?

Live here locally and want some organic cantaloupe seedlings?  Check out the Botany Brothers.  They deliver!

Have you ever grown cantaloupes?  I've never attempted cantaloupes, but I'm sure an expert at eating them.  If you've got any tips, please send them my way!

4 comments:

Keary said...

You are seriously in for a treat. The very best cantaloupe I ever had, bar none, was the one I ate straight from my father-in-law's garden, still warm from the afternoon sun and oh so sweet and full of flavor--ummm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Rachel Watters said...

Some things to watch out for:
Birds! They love cantaloupe, too.
So do rats and other outdoor critters. Hopefully those don't bother you! Netting can usually keep out most pests, and keeping them off the ground (in a bra, if you'd like!) should help, too.

We can't wait to try our Botany Brothers melons!

mandi said...

Oh those little seedlings look great! And I second everything Rachel said up there!
Gardening out front really is such a great way to get people together. I think you are going to find that over and again. I loved gardening out front for that very reason. People would even stop by as they drove. It really is very sweet, that coming together. Sometimes when I had extras, I would put veggies out in a box by the mailbox. Kept the neighbors happy with us even when we had chickens getting in their yards or crowing at 5 am!

Celina said...

This is great!